Have you been caught by the travel bug, yet? Or, your work is always keeping you busy? Finding time is no easy task, however, do people utilise it well once they actually find the time?
This generation is all about venturing out, exploring, discovering and seeking things beyond the mundanity of our everyday lives. They are always looking to feed the wanderlust, whether it’s by rushing along city lights, climbing mountains or just laying by the great blue seas.
If you are anything like me, packing for a trip drives me completely crazy. I don’t know what to take and what to leave behind, and even when I do I end up missing out on something or the other. Does that sound like you, too? Worry not, after a lot of pack hacks, I have put together some tips on “How to Pack like a Basic”: try these simple “jugaads” for your next trip and tell us if they worked or not:
How to Pack like a Basic –
- Make a list – we cannot emphasise this enough. Well begun is half done, after all. Skyscanner makes even this easy for us – they have put together a basic list of all things essential for your next journey.
- Save space – roll or cube your clothes instead of folding them up separately. You will end up saving a tonne of space (more space to keep all the things you splurge on during your vacation). This method will even save your clothes from being wrinkled.
- Do not pack your entire wardrobe – As tempted as you may be, you do not need to pack everything. Use your discretion here, but know that even ten pieces of clothing can make for a good fourteen outfits if properly planned (two weeks of clothing).
- It’s all about the little things – Another great way to save precious space is to roll up your socks and put them inside one another, and then put those inside the shoes you’re going to pack.
- Use Ziplock for tubes and other things that might leak (or tangled – you can also use this tip for things like phone chargers and headphones), not only will they prevent your things from getting messy, but it’s also a great way to organise things.
- Invest in a Kindle (or some other eBook reader) – cannot travel without your own personal library with you the entire time? We understand the feels completely. There’s nothing better than curling up with a good book sometimes. But books do take up a lot – a lot of space. Invest in a Kindle or an eBook reader and you’ll get the best of both worlds. It’s totally worth it.
- Keep your things safe – Travelling can be risky, depending on the kind of adventure you’re looking to embark upon. Be as inconspicuous as you can, keep your valuables in subtle and hidden spaces. Also, don’t forget to keep a stash of emergency cash in some place only you know.
- Choose your travel bag wisely – if you’re going on a trek or other kinds of heavy-activity vacation, it does not make sense to be dragging huge pieces of luggage around. Keep it simple, use a sturdy backpack. Even if your vacation plans are more relaxed, it makes sense to go with lightweight suitcases. Lightweight design is key.
- Be creative with your bags – spruce up your bags with stickers, ribbons or other things that scream ‘you’. This looks super cool and helps you identify your bags easily – you’ll save time and reduce the risk of losing your stuff.
- Hand luggage – We tend to stuff everything into our hand baggage, but let’s be honest, there’s almost never a situation when we’ll need half the things we stuff in there. Keep your hand luggage to the bare essentials – the things you will need only during your travel time.
- Good things come in small packages – Carrying your heavy cosmetics, shampoos and other toiletries can be so cumbersome. Use (and reuse) smaller sized tubes, bottles, packaging for these things. Doing this will also make you think about how much or how little you actually need and helps you to not overpack.
- Carry converters/adaptors – Depending on where you’re travelling, you might require different kinds of plugs to support your electricity needs. Invest in a global travel adaptor so that you’re sorted wherever you go!
So, what are you waiting for? Use these tips and plan your next venture out with The Hosteller. The whole world awaits you.
Visit us in our super cool hostels in Delhi & Kasol and sleep under a million stars. New locations are coming up soon. Stay tuned.