5 mins read
Monsoon Marvel: Discovering the Beauty of Sajjangarh Palace in the Rainy Season
13 Aug, 2023
Monsoons make everything so much better, from your cup of coffee to your drives, weekend getaways, and even Bollywood songs! It's that magical time of the year when nature rejuvenates, and everything seems fresher and more vibrant. One such place that showcases the mesmerizing beauty of the season in India is the Sajjangarh “Monsoon” Palace, also known as the Monsoon Palace, in Udaipur.
Panoramic aerial view of Udaipur city from Monsoon palace (Picture - Alamy)
Let’s briefly explore the origin. Nestled on the top of Bansdara Peak of the Aravalli Hills, the Sajjangarh Palace stands tall, offering a panoramic view of Udaipur and its surroundings. This architectural marvel was constructed in the late 19th century by Maharana Sajjan Singh of the Mewar dynasty. The palace was originally intended to serve as an astronomical center and a monsoon retreat for the royal family.
The Monsoon Connection:
The Monsoon Palace perched on the hilltop (Picture - The Leela Palace)
The Sajjangarh Palace gained its popular name, the Monsoon Palace, due to its strategic location that allows visitors to witness breathtaking sunsets and the dramatic arrival of monsoon clouds. Perched on a hilltop, the monsoon palace provides an uninterrupted view of the sprawling Aravalli Range and the vast expanse of Udaipur city. As the monsoon clouds roll in, the palace transforms into an ethereal beauty, enveloped in mist and kissed by the rain.
Things That make Monsoon a Delight at Sajjangarh Palace:
Sajjangarh Palace's gradient sunset (Picture - Flickr)
1. Verdant Landscapes: Monsoons breathe life into the parched earth, painting the landscape with lush greenery. At Sajjangarh Palace, you can witness the transformation of the surrounding valleys and forests into a vibrant oasis of verdant beauty.
2. Majestic Sunsets: The dramatic monsoon clouds create a captivating backdrop for stunning sunsets. As the sun sets behind the hills, the sky turns into a canvas of vibrant hues, casting a magical glow over the palace and the entire city of Udaipur.
3. Mystic Mists: As the clouds descend upon the palace, a mystical blanket of mist wraps around its architecture, creating an otherworldly experience. Walking through the misty corridors and terraces of Sajjangarh Palace feels like being transported to a different era.
How to Reach the Sajjangarh Palace?
From the main city: Sajjangarh is 10 km from Udaipur City. You can come here by taxi, bus or an auto.
By Air: Sajjangarh’s nearest airport is Maharana Pratap Singh Airport. It is well connected to domestic airports from major cities like Delhi, Kolkata, Ahmadabad, Jodhpur, and Jaipur.
From the Railways station: Udaipur Railway station is 7.2 km. You can reach here from Mumbai, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Delhi, Kolkata, or any major cities.
From The Hosteller Udaipur: If you’re staying here then it will be merely a 10 - 15 minute drive from the property.
Sajjangarh Palace Details
Address: Sajjangarh Monsoon Palace, Udaipur, Rajasthan, 313011
Timing: All days open, 9 am to 5 pm.
Entry Fees: 110 INR for Indians and 300 INR for foreigners
Honorable Mentions of The Monsoon Palace
The path leading to Sajjangarh's 'Monsoon' Palace (Picture - Alamy)
The Sajjangarh Monsoon Palace is widely popular even in the west. In fact, The popular James Bond film starring Roger Moore, Octopussy, in the year 1983 was shot here. Including some other popular music videos.
Other Things to Do in Udaipur During Monsoons
Pichola Lake's tranquil waters (Picture - Shutterstock)
If you are in the “City of Lakes” during the monsoon, you can’t miss out on these experiences.
1. Lake Pichola ( for a glistening boat ride)
2. City Palace ( a must see royal gem)
3. Bagore ki Haveli ( for a cultural excursion)
4. Rayta Hills (for the scenic beauty)
The Sajjangarh Palace, or the Monsoon Palace, is a testament to the grandeur of the Mewar dynasty and a jewel in the crown of Udaipur's architectural wonders. The rainy season adds an ethereal touch to its beauty, making it a must-visit destination for nature lovers and history enthusiasts alike. The panoramic views, lush landscapes, enchanting sunsets, and mystical mists make Sajjangarh Palace an unforgettable experience. So pack your bags, head to Udaipur, and let The Hosteller be your gateway to discovering the monsoon marvel of Sajjangarh Palace — You can also avail a monsoon special 50% discount for all your stays!